Last week I tackled another upgrade of Bugzilla on my Debian server. Unfortunately, I found out the hard way that the package that I tried to install (bugzilla3-220.127.116.11-2) was badly broken - I was left with a half-completed installation that simply would not work. I reported the problem but got no response, so I decided to get to the bottom of this and find out what the trouble is. This is not the story of what I found out, but of how I was finally able to fix the problem.
Today I found out that there are simpler things than configuring an Apache virtual host for Bugzilla to live in. With a bit of URL rewriting magic, the basics are moderately difficult to solve. What drove me crazy, though, was that the CGI scripts stubbornly generated links to
/bugzilla3/skin/[...], instead of just